Technology and Innovation since 1921
Founded in December 28, 1921, as Fuel and Mining Experimental Station (EECM), linked to the Ministry of Agriculture, Industry and Commerce, the INT came up with the function to investigate and disclose the industrial processes of the Country’s utilization of fuels and ores. Its founder and first director was Ernesto Lopes da Fonseca Costa.
Since then, INT is recognized by the creativity, skill and pioneering spirit with which it acts on strategic issues for the development of the country. Still in the 1920s, the Institute developed the alcohol-powered car; in the 1930s, it initiated the development of research in biofuels using various oilseeds as raw material and proved the existence of petroleum in Brazil. In the 1940s, INT created the concrete strength test method, recognized and adopted worldwide, known as Brazilian Test, and developed processes that made possible the use of eucalyptus pulp in paper production. In the 1950s, the Institute invested in studies on biotechnology and preservation of the environment and conducted the first study on corrosion under stress in Brazil. In the 1960s, INT implemented the first Information Technology Center in Latin America; in the 1970s, it installed a plant to produce ethanol from cassava; in the 1980s, INT coordinated the anthropometric survey of the Brazilian population; and in the 1990s, it developed production management programs and began to offer technological support to small and medium enterprises.
In recent years, INT has strengthened its research on major topics such as biodiesel, nanotechnology, oil and gas, health products and renewable energy and has expanded its technology transfer actions to society, through its Center for Technological Innovation (NIT) and technological extension programs.